What strings do you use?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Guitar Strings' started by Agmundr, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Agmundr

Agmundr New Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Male
    I've used a few different kinds of strings on my acoustics, and I find myself going back to the standard Martin strings in a medium or light gauge. I haven't experimented much with it other than Elixers, which I didn't care for. They worked pretty well on my bass, but not so much on acoustic guitar. What do you guys use?

2. Rick

Rick New Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Male
    I've tried a lot of different strings on my acoustic, but have only been really happy with Elixirs. I like how they minimize the finger squeak. I am playing with a set of Red strings currently. They're copper-bronze, so they're a little brighter and warmer.

What are you looking for? Sound, feel, durabilty?

3. Kerry

Kerry New Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Male
    You find the Red strings to be brighter? I have tried them on a few guitars and thought the sound was as mellow and dark as you can get with strings. I had a Breedlove guitar that had maple back and sides and was very bright, and the Reds were the only strings that I liked on it.

4. MarkM

MarkM Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Male
    I've been using the trusty old Plectrum "Dr Thomastik's" for nearly 30 years, and I still reckon they're the best (though not the cheapest). I've tried other strings over the years, but none have sounded quite as good to me. Still, I guess your ears do get used to the tone of certain strings after years of using them.

5. Kerry

Kerry New Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Male
    I used to work at a music store and sold lots of the Thomastiks to people who swore by them. They must have, as we always had to special order them.

6. MarkM

MarkM Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Male
    I certainly swear by them; I've been using them for 30 years. They used to be the most popular strings sold, but they are quite expensive these days. I guess that's why a lot of music shops don't carry them anymore. Still, you get what you pay for, and they're still the best acoustic strings on the market IMO.

7. Unknwn702

Unknwn702 New Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Male
    11s power slinkys

8. Kerry

Kerry New Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Male
    Anyone tried the new colbalt strings? I have heard good things but haven't bothered yet.

9. Roppongen

Roppongen New Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Male
    I'm a full-on Elixir user, both electric and acoustic. I've never cared for the sound of brand new strings, always liking them best after a couple days usage, after which they deteriorate more and more. Elixirs start off with the couple-days-old tonality that just stays forever that way and I never need to change them out until they start getting hard to keep in tune.

10. MarkM

MarkM Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Male
    I hate the sound of new strings as well (way too bright), and tend to use strings for much longer than most guitarists. I always wipe them down when I finish playing which prolongs their life (and their tone) dramatically. Saves a lot of money too, as strings are getting to be expensive these days. I never understand guitarists who have to have new strings on all their guitars for every gig. Each to their own, but modern strings rarely break, and hold their tone for a long time.

11. Sam

Sam New Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Male
    I used to love Martin's Reds. I used them for a few years. Loved the tone, didn't care for how much I had to change them out. I got hooked on Elixers when they came out because I could play a lot more and not have to mess around with changing strings so much.

I'm currently using D'Addario EXP phosphor bronze 12-53 with a .070 for my low B string. I'd rather be using 80/20s or Elixers, but that's the only coated 7 sting set I can find at the moment.

12. jaclop099

jaclop099 <Blues Jazz Rock Funk>

Dec 8, 2013
    Male
    I put Ernie Ball 2221's on my Fender Standard Stratocaster. They just work for me.

13. Jay Bones

Jay Bones Master of the Stratocaster

Mar 8, 2016
    Male
    On my acoustics, I use Martin Phosphor Bronze mediums. Since this is in the acoustic section I assume that's what you're asking.

On electrics I use DR Lite 'N Heavy strings (10 - 52).

14. the burgermeister

the burgermeister New Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Male
    My favorite strings are the DR Rare Acoustic Hex Core 12-54. Love the tone, love the feel, love the durability.

I general, I like DR strings. And Dunlop.

Phosphor Bronze on acoustic, nickel or nickel-plated on electric.

15. Kittytoe17

Kittytoe17 New Member

Apr 16, 2016
    Male
    I used elixirs exclusively until I tried a Pyramid Phosphor Bronze set on my Yamaha, I was blown away by how much more lively my guitar sounded and felt, and I no longer miss the coating as these age quite slowly

On a related note, I tried a set of their Nickel Classics on a Strat and was able to eq my rig for brighter, livelier tones without blowing everyone away with harsh top end, something that was not easy with other strings

16. D76er

D76er New Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Male
    I've always used Slinky's on my lead guitars. I recently put 11-47 on my Martin, but next change will be luthier recommended 12-50 John Pearse 'slightly lights'. I like the light gage on my old Guild D-60 and Carvin acoustics.

17. Bass Surfer

Bass Surfer In The Bitterroots In MT

Feb 17, 2016
    Male
    I've got a Fender CD-E and a Japanese Kasuga acoustic I got in Japan in 1968 and they both have EB Earthwood Extra Lights, 10/50s and I use them pretty much exclusively now.

[​IMG]

I used the EB Aluminums and found they were very nice - easy on the fingers but died pretty fast.

[​IMG]

I've tried the Martins and they felt like rebar under my fingers and didn't have the biting tone of the Earthwoods.

What I didn't like about Gibson strings can't be posted in a non PG-13 site, so I won't say anything else about the dislike I have for them. Suffice it to say they don't bend. That's good enuff!

I also tried the Fender - whatever-they-were on the new CD and while OK, the Earthwoods kill them every way around.

What I see here is a lot of Elixir-love and that's got me wondering if I'm missing something. Since I love ultra-thins (9s pref'd), do the Elixirs even come near to a 10?