Telecaster Machine Heads

Discussion in 'Electric Guitars' started by cliggity, Jul 14, 2011.

1. cliggity

cliggity New Member

Jul 14, 2011
    I picked up a new Squier Modified Telecaster last week. I was surprised to find that even though it was fully stringed, of course, the machine heads were barely hanging on. They hadn't even been tightened. I was replacing the strings anyway with some GHS Boomers so it gave me a chance to get them tight. I don't expect miracles from a MII Telecaster from the factory, but c'mon.
    • Like x 1
  2. BillyB

BillyB New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I believe that the nuts will loosen. Might be a humidity thing, who knows?
  3. HalfManHalfGuitar

HalfManHalfGuitar New Member

Aug 13, 2012
    I saw locally one of the Jazz basses in that same series and it had some of its scratchplate screws sticking up - where they hadn't been screwed fully down properly.

I thought much the same thing really..... I mean, just how hard is it just to turn a screw until it stops in a guitar factory?!
  4. Andew

Andew New Member

Nov 26, 2012
    What was that model? Was it directly from the shop (factory) or it was used one?
  5. MarkM

MarkM Member

Feb 15, 2013
    I assume they're the same as the ones on MIM Teles (they're not actually screwed in in the back - they just have little notches?). They're crap - and you can buy good replacements very cheaply. Gotoh make sets for about $40 (which are good quality), or a set of Grovers are about $75. Both are simple to install. Either one will be a huge improvement, as the standard ones really are garbage (not good enough for a Fender IMO). Since they have a fixed bridge, I'd just buy the Gotoh ones - no point wasting money. I have roller string trees on mine as well, which cost $8 each. Not a necessity, but worth a thought. I use the liquid lubricant on the nut and bridge saddles as well (good stuff). One bottle has lasted more than a year, and I have a lot of guitars, but I never have tuning problems. ;)