Classical guitar

Discussion in 'Acoustic Guitars' started by Yvon, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Yvon

Yvon New Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Who else is playing mostly classical guitar?

After 25 years of bass playing, I started to play guitar about a year ago.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon New Member

Feb 10, 2014
    I love my classical guitar. An old 60's Japanese model that sounds better than the much more expensive models I tried at Guitar Center recently. Had it since the early 70's and still my favorite.
  3. Jay Bones

Jay Bones Master of the Stratocaster

Mar 8, 2016
    I took a couple classical courses in college while I was getting my minor in music, and happened on a Yamaha G-160 (Nippon-Gaki) hanging in a pawnshop. It was there for a while, priced at $150. Then $140, $125, $115, $100, $75, $60, $50, $40, then "Yamaha acoustic guitar. Make offer."

They'd used water based polish on it (oiled finish just hazed and collected dust) and had steel strings on it. When it said make offer, I asked to see it. Made sure the neck wasn't broken (they hadn't tuned it to standard, otherwise the neck or bridge would have failed), and offered them $25 OTD.

The guy took it so quickly I probably could have offered less, but what's the difference. They were smirking at me, thought they'd gotten one over on me. I took it home, used some linseed oil on a paper towel to bring the finish back and put a proper set of classical string on it.

Barely have more than $35 in it, and its not much more than a student model, but it's worth probably at least $100. And its one of my guitars I play very often.

I'll actually try to work out pieces on it before I'll grab my steel stringers. Also, I've used it to record some parts on my originals, give them some depth that they wouldn't have if I was just using an acoustic or electric.